Blog Archive

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Blue Willow

So, I love Blue Willow China. My mom has almost a full set that she collected when she was a teenager, and they have been displayed in a china cabinet for as long as I can remember. I have always loved them.
Well, Imagine my surprise and delight when I walked into Savemart yesterday and they have Blue Willow dishes for sale as part of a 6 or 9 week promotion. Of course they aren't the original ones, but they are Churchill, and they are made in Columbia, and I am happy because now I have pretty dishes to use, and they were only $1.99 each! I got 6 plates, but may grab a few more.

Here is some interesting info about the pattern:
The Blue Willow pattern was inspired by a Chinese legend about two young lovers. A wealthy man's daughter (Hong Shee) fell in love with her father's secretary (Chang). The father did not approve of the romance. So, he confined the girl to the palace. With help from her sympathetic maid, Hong Shee escaped. The two lovers ran over a bridge to a boat and sailed away together. A terrible storm developed, the boat sank and the two lovers drowned. Legend says that two love birds appeared in the sky --- the spirits of Hong Shee and Chang happily together at last.

Anyways, if you have no clue what I am talking about, here is what they look like:


I am happy, I have some pretty dishes now! =)

No comments: