Blog Archive

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ellie's Birth Story

Whew, The past week has been a blur... But I figured I had better write this before I forget!

On Thursday, the 24th, I went to my 38 week checkup at 1:40pm. I was checked and was 1-2cm dilated and about 70% effaced. After I left, I started having pretty regular contractions. They weren't painful just slightly uncomfortable, but were coming about every 5 minuted or so. I went shopping a little with my brother in law Grant, and his girlfriend, Erika. Then we headed home as it started to snow.

By the time we got home (about a 40 minute drive) it was snowing pretty good, so I called Josh and told him to let his boss know he might not be into work tomorrow, because I thought I might be in labor. They still weren't very painful, but were staying regular.

Josh got off work shortly after, and we decided that if the contractions continued we would head up to the hospital that evening after we put Jack to bed. (Grant and Erika were there with him.) Since the weather was only supposed to get worse, if they would have sent us home from the hospital, we were planning to get a hotel room for the night. So, we got things ready to go, then went out to eat at Qdoba. We got home, and got Jack ready for bed, said our goodbyes and headed up to Reno.

The drive took us about an hour, and we stopped at Walmart to buy a couple going home outfits, since we couldn't find the box of newborn clothes we had in the garage after the move, and we didn't know what we were having. We walked around walmart for a little bit, then on to the hospital.

We got there about 9:30 or so, they put us in a room, and checked me and I was about the same as I was at my dr. appointment that afternoon... but she said I was about a 2. The Dr. agreed to let me stay an hour and they would check me again. When he came back, he wasn't very supportive. He said he didn't think I was really in labor, and that my chances of having a successful vbac were very slim. but, because we lived so far away and the weather was so bad, he agreed to let me stay another hour. I was making very slow progress, so after three hours of regular contractions, and only 1cm dilation, they admitted me.

By about 4:30am I was asking for an epidural, but the anesthesiologist was in c-sections so I didn't get it until 9:30. Boy, was that a relief! Unfortunately it wore off on one side pretty quickly, even though I could push the button for more... so, the anesthesiologist had to come in a couple more times to give me a bolus of the medicine.

I have to add in here that I had some amazing and supportive nurses (and a PA) at Renown... It definitely made my experience so much better. (and I was so glad the other dr. was long gone by the time I delivered!)

at 9:30 I was still at about 4cm. I tried to rest as much as I could, but wasn't really able to sleep at all. I can't remember times and numbers for the evening, but I think I was at about an 8 by 6:00, had my water broken at 7 or so and was a 9, and started pushing around 9:00pm.

After about an hour and a half of pushing, Ellie was born at 9:34pm on the 25th. 24 hours after arriving at the hospital. I was so surprised she was a girl! I thought I was going to have another boy! I had 2 2nd degree tears, so while they stitched me up, I was able to have over 1 1/2 hours of skin to skin. Ellie was delivered by a midwife who was fantastic in allowing that. She latched on within the first hour and was a great nurser from the beginning!

I am so glad I was able to have my vbac! now the real challenge begins.... being a mom of 2 under 2! =)

(more pictures to come, promise!)


Chari said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you that you had a successful vbac!

Becca said...

She is beautiful! Great job, mama.

I Heart Maternity said...

Congratulations to you! I found your blog via Reynolds Mom and I'm happy I did. I'm a new follower and I have added your button to my blog under Pregnancy Links so other new moms can find your blog.

I am always looking for guest bloggers, so if you ever want to write a post about having 2 under 2 just reach out to me.


Kate said...

This is awesome! I kept checking Facebook all day to see if she was born yet :) she is a beauty and I love her name. Enjoy her!!

Michelle said...