Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The inevitable resolutions

Well, It's a new year. We all know what that means... yep, new years resolutions.

Why we try and torture ourselves every year, I have no clue. But we all do it, and I know most of the time I fail. Miserably.

But this year, I am going to try and make lifestyle changes... not resolutions. Nothing big or drastic, just small changes that will help make life a little better and easier. So without further ado...

1. Eat healthier. Aside from the past month and a half of holiday junk that is finally almost gone, I was doing better about this. I am just trying to cut back on unhealthy snacking, eat more whole grains, fruits and veggies. And cut out the more fattening stuff as well. =) I would love to lose about 50-60 pounds. That would put me back where I was 4 years ago, and I felt great then.

2. Get more organized. Our house is cluttered. not messy, we just have too much stuff. Since we are moving to a bigger place with more closet space, I think it will be a little easier to make this happen. I just want everything to have it's place, and really get rid of all the stuff that we don't use or need.

3. Set a bedtime. I want to try and go to bed earlier. I think setting a bedtime will help with that. (though having a baby won't always make it possible to go to bed at that time.)

4. Cut expenses. We have already started doing this, having had no choice. We have almost cut them as much as we can, but we are getting rid of our satellite dish, our home phone and dsl, and switching to only having cable internet. That will cut about $70 a month in bills. Our new place is $150 cheaper a month, and our utility bills should go down too since this place is drafty and the heater runs all the time. The new place is in the middle of a fourplex, so the neighbors on either side should keep us warmer. =)

5. Exercise more. Josh and I want to start walking after dinner every day. With the days getting longer, that should be easier to do since it is starting to stay warmer. We went on a long walk on Saturday, and it was nice to spend the time without a tv or other distractions, just talking, and getting exercise at the same time. Our new neighborhood is perfect for this too.

6. Be less lazy. I'll admit it. I can be lazy... more than I should. But I want to make more of an effort to do more and sit less. Having a baby who doesn't like to sleep isn't going to help, but I think doing more will actually help me be less tired. Getting rid of our dish will help too... I won't have the good shows during the day to sit and watch... and I can't stand soap operas. ;-)

So that's my list. Hopefully I can make some changes in my life along these lines, but I'm not going to beat myself up for making mistakes or having lazy days. These are just the things I want to work towards. =)

Any of you have any of the same goals?

1 comment:

Holly Marie said...

good for you!!! i haven't penned my resolutions yet, but mine would be along the same lines as yours. i follow a blog that helps with saving money, she posts tips, coupons, freebies... all sorts of stuff. you should check it out http://frugalfunandfortune.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year!!!