Blog Archive

Monday, January 5, 2009

update and a question...

Well, things are going ok here. I have been sick for the past 4-5 days. Which really sucks because I can't take anything for it. I have had a head cold.. a cough, severe congestion, runny nose, headache... not fun.
Also, the past 4 mornings I have woken up at 4am and haven't been able to fall back asleep. (other than a little dozing on and off, which doesn't really help) So I have been exhausted on top of being sick. Not the most fun combo.
Luckily I have the next 2 days off, so I can attempt to sleep in and catch up on some rest...

Ok, so here is a question for all of you. Mainly those of you who are pregnant or who have had kids.
I know most of you have probably heard of the old wives tale of holding the ring on a string over your belly and if it swings side to side it's supposed to be a boy and front to back, a girl.
How many of you have tried this? and how many of you have tried it and had it be right?

The reason I ask is because We tried it today twice and both times it indicated a boy. We aren't officially finding out, but I just thought that was neat since we both want a boy.

let me know what you all think!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! My mom used to do that to my aunts and so far so good, we've been right (from what i remember) I can't believe you're so far into your pregnancy already! Time flies!

I hope you feel better soon :-)

heidi @ ggip said...

There are a lot of things like that--ones that have to do with the heart rate, etc. Unfortunately, they aren't much better than just guessing. 50/50

I hope you start feeling better soon. The sleeplessness is normal and might be a good indicator of what is to come:)

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

i've heard it's right. but i heard that if it circles it's a boy and if it goes side to side it's a girl. i'm sure there are a few versions of this tale. :) we don't know the sex yet, but i'll let you know if it was right for us.

a few weeks ago i was waking up every night at 3:00 or 4:00 and wasn't able to go back to sleep. my sweet husband offered to sleep in one of the guest rooms for a few nights to see if that helped. it totally did. he came back after four nights because we missed each other, but it was so nice to sleep through the night because i didn't have any interruptions.

Carole said...

I have done it to see how many kids and what gender you will have but it was over your hand i think. Are you carrying in front or all around is usually a tell tale sign but not always accurate.

Good Luck Momma

Sarah said...

Feel better soon!!!

Sweetbabs said...

I never did this but I heard it is true.

Mrs. J said...

I have heard this before. My husband I and I never did that. Hope you get to feeling better and get some sleep!

Mrs. Nurse said...

I have heard of this one before but do not know of anyone that tried it. I also heard: if it's up high its a girl. and if you eat a lot of spicy food while pregnat your child has more hair. Whether they are true is beyond me, but they are fun either way ;)

amy (metz) walker said...

I've tried this, but obviously have no kids to tell if its true or not! It's fun though!

becky s said...

I didn't try it when I was pregnant, so I'm not sure. I hear that it works, but I also hear that it doesn't.

BTW, have you tried a bit of tea with honey? That should help your cough a little bit. Also, check and see if it's safe for you to put vicks on your feet - it will also help with your cough. And don't forget that you can take tylenol for your headache, but not ibuprofen. (I don't remember, but I don't think you can take aspirin either.) Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant I heard it the same way as someone else who already posted.
Side to side = Girl
Circles = Boy

But anyway, I tried it both times and both times side to side. Also both times I had a girl!!

There's also if you look like a watermelon it is a girls. Like a basketball a boy.


There's also a drano test you can do. It was popular when I was prego. My sister-in-law and I did...but thinking back now it probably wasn't smart to breath in those toxins!!

Jaime said...

We tried the string thing - it told me I was going to have 3 girls. I had a boy...